Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sight Words Game- Barn Yard Fun

I was on Pinterest one day and saw a totally awesome idea from the blog Juggling With Kids...Sight Words Parking Lot Game.
  http://www.jugglingwithkids.com/2011/10/sight-word-parking-lot.html?showComment=1319571243034#c5501857452008954589

She drew a parking lot on a large sheet of paper, wrote sight words in the parking spaces, calls a word, and her son parks a toy car in the right spot.  I thought this was a super cute idea and came up with my own variation.  I drew a barn, and wrote a different animal name in each stall.  Then I call out an animal and she places it in the right stall.  We use our Animal Planet Mother and Baby Playset. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4073732

Then I drew a " bush" and we used the little figures in her creepy crawly box which consists of bugs, reptiles, amphibians, and bats to play the same game again.

In Kindergarten they will be using the Dolch sight words list. While we work on those words as well, my main focus is to give her words she is interested in learning.  Reading any kind of sight word introduces your child to recognizing the order and shapes of the letters as well as building phonemic awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment