Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sight Words- Action Words Game

Aly is a very high energy child. If she can learn in a way the allows her to jump, dance, make noise, and act crazy she's all over it!  That's how I came up with the Action Sight Words game.  A friend gave is a set of foam rectangles and foam letter stickers of various sizes and colors. Aly loved making her flashcards. We did two sided opposite cards.  For example, one side says MOM and the other DAD. One says SUN and the other side says MOON.  You get the idea I'm sure. I would let her pick a word, tell her how to spell it, and she would put the letters on the cards.  I made a series that had the following words:

  • jump
  • hop
  • dance
  • sing
  • wiggle
  • wave
  • clap
  • kick
First I started with just three words.  I pointed out the beginning letter and phonic sound for those words.  I told her the word the first few times we played.  Then I would just show her the card without saying the word. Next I added a new word in the same fashion as the first three.  Being active and learning sight words in a fun way...that's what I call creative learning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment